
Hold on!
This may just be relative I
suppose. India was filthy, hot, crowded
and chaotic. Thailand is none of these
things. But neither was South Africa or
Namibia, and I didn't crow on about them like I am doing now. The only point I am trying to make is that
Thailand is magical, and coming from India it seemed, relatively, both a heaven
and a haven.
The king of Thailand. You see this guy *a lot* here
We flew from Trivandrum in India,
via Colombo in Sri Lanka, to Bangkok on Christmas Eve.
Uneventful flight. Everything
worked as it should. The first thing you
notice when you land in Thailand coming from India is that everything seems to
be in working order. There are no loose,
exposed wires hanging from the ceiling, no random installations of objects with
no discernible purpose, no piles of rubbish, no bizarre bureaucracy. Much less chaotic. We sailed through immigration in a modern,
spacious airport.
We flew in on Christmas eve. Partly because we were expecting it to be
busy with tourists escaping the winter freeze back home, partly because we were
dreaming of a comfortable bed and air conditioning whilst in the helter-swelter
of India, and partly because it was Christmas, we had booked a swanky hotel in
Sukhumvit, a district in Bangkok, for two nights. It was the mental equivalent of salivation
for me; the anticipation of many layers of comfort after much relative lack of
the same. The skytrain slid smoothly
into the twinkling, glittering, pulsating capital of this emerging nation. I felt relaxed; at home. This was a city with a similar feel to
London. Slick, well organised; busy but
not chaotic. I know those of you reading
this in London might think this a very complimentary view of London, but all I
can say is that London does work very well compared to almost every city I have
been to on this trip. Speaking of
which, Bangkok has appalling traffic.
Much worse than London. That's
one thing I know I can no longer moan about in the UK. It is not as bad as we think it is. Everywhere in the world it seems is choking
up with cars. And people.
Adverts on the skytrain in Bangkok
I often get distinct feelings
flying into new countries, and they usually represent the preconceptions I have
about the country if I haven't visited before.
With South Africa it was a slight fear of being attacked and robbed,
with Madagascar it was a fear of the unknown, with India an anxious
anticipation of the filth and crowds.
With Thailand it was a good feeling.
I think it was the combination of so many good Thai meals in London, and
the combined stories of so many people I have know who have gone and loved the
place. And perhaps rounded off with the
idea that here was a country wedded to a religion that, if any, I feel
represents my own view of life.
Buddhism.
But the rug is always pulled out
from one's preconceptions. In particular
I was surprised at the glitziness of Buddhism here. The solid gold buddhas, the precious stones
and gleaming facades of the Wats. It
seemed at odds with the humility of the religion, but perhaps not at odds with
the respect many people impart upon it.
Anyway, lovely comfy hotel with
soft beds and fluffy pillows and towels folded in to the shape of an elephant. Our first meal in Thailand was Christmas
dinner! It had to be done. It was Christmas, after all. And I was feeling the pull too, being so far
away from family and friends. It was
palpable over a period when I would normally be with family, and had been
almost every year aside from this one.
Christmas in Bangkok is noticeable.
Plenty of Christmas trees and sparkly lights and santa hats. But all in humid 30C heat, which just isn't
so right somehow.
A taste of luxury after many months
Bangkok by night
Bangkok on Christmas day is just
like Bangkok on any other day.
Everything is working and life goes on.
We visited the Grand palace
after a decent Christmas day lie-in. It
is utterly sumptuous! I think it is one
of the most impressive places I have seen on this trip. Just shiny, glorious, glitzy, splendour.
Just on the threshold of over-doing it, but not quite. I was captivated, along with the throngs of
other people there, which was the only downside. A glorious emerald buddha (which you were
strictly not allowed to photograph) was the star of the show.
The grand palace in Bangkok. Pure glitz and splendour
Intricate glitzy detail
The emerald buddha from outside his enclosure
A deva (I think) holds up a column
The searing Bangkok sun shining down over the grand palace
It's pure Thailand. And very impressive!
I love this guy on the left. He has the best face ever
Next to the temple of the
reclining buddha (aka wat pho). This is a pretty huge statue. 15 metres high and 43 metres long! The soles of the buddha's feet are inlaid
with 108 auspicious symbols, and along the side of the wat are 108 bowls, which
people proceed along dropping coins in, believing it will bring them good
fortune. It presumably brings the wat
good fortune too.
The reclining buddha
The reclining buddha's feet...
Inlaid with 108 auspicious symbols
People dropping coins into bowls
A baht tree
That night, out to a restaurant
called "Cabbages and
Condoms", which is the flagship restaurant of the Population
and Community Development Association of Thailand. This is basically a family planning and other
worthy causes charity that has been running in Thailand for over 30 years. The nature of the cabbage not entirely clear
to me, condoms were nevertheless much in evidence, an entire Christmas tree
decorated with them and the complimentary mint given with the bill of course
replaced with a condom. I've never
really felt entirely comfortable with condoms, the combination of rubber and
sex making me feel similar to when fingernails are scraped down a
blackboard. Prudish certainly, but the
sight of condoms at every turn isn't a great addition to a meal in my
book. Others may differ!
A Christmas tree decorated with condoms
Next day to the ultimate in glam
Buddhism, Wat Traimit,
which houses the largest solid gold statue in the world. It's a good job the golden buddha statue
doesn't fit through the entrance to the Wat, otherwise I imagine someone
would've been off with it by now.
Conservatively valued at £300,000,000, I'm a bit surprised someone
hasn't had a go. Still, at 5.5 tonnes of
solid gold and 3m in height, it would be certainly be a headache. Whoever decided that Buddhism was best
embellished by gold this and gold that was obviously thinking on, gold prices
rocketing as they are, however it does make the monks coming round cap-in-hand
to the restaurants and guesthouses at crack of dawn asking for alms hard to
swallow. The appreciation on all the
gold alone would be enough to feed the lot of them for a decade I should
think. That the buddha chose to
relinquish his grasp on all material things is obviously ironic in this context, but I wonder
if he was aware of the joke? I've never
experienced a religion with so many donation boxes, flanked by so many eager
devotees encouraging one to ante up the readies, apparently unaware of the
paradox. Never have piety and economic
prescience married so well. In such
circumstances it takes a great leap of faith to be faithful. Still, that's religion all over, I feel.
Wat Traimit
And the golden buddha inside
Off down the Chinese market next,
accosted and led by a delightful Chinese man who I at first thought was trying
to swindle us. It happens so much when
you are travelling (the swindling I mean).
One learns to be suspicious. But
short and cheerful this man was just keen to show us his routine and his city
and we obediently followed him through a chorus of sounds, smells and
sights. Colourful foods, fragrant
spices, a cacophony of unintelligible words.
It was Bangkok at its hustling, bustling best and one of those
experiences that travelling foists upon you and you learn to relax into, even
if you did have other plans. After a few
hours of chatting and trailing, we said our thank yous and goodbyes and met up
with some friends from the UK for a drink, before galloping off to catch a
coach/catamaran combination to Koh Tao, a small island in the Gulf of Thailand,
where we planned to learn to scuba dive.
Me and our Chinese guide through china town in Bangkok
Tat
A variety of accoutrements to life were on sale...
Unfamiliar sights and smells in the Chinese market
Catching up with friends in Bangkok
Heading out of Bangkok to Chumpon, and then Koh Tao
And dive we did. But not before bringing in the new year with
a bang and a boogy at the Experience festival.
Set on top of a steep hill, the warm rain occasionally drummed down to
cool the happy ravers. Sparkling lights,
warm, pulsating, psychedelic sounds and friendly hippies in colourful dresses
and dreadlocks. It's a lethal combination! As were the long island ice teas. What goes on at a festival, stays at the
festival... ;)
Entry to the Experience festival
Lots of lights and hammocks
The main stage
Having a boogy with friends from the UK

Every tree had a little light or decoration
Alice in Wonderland stuff
Complete with hippy necklace bought at the festival
Happy new year everyone :)
I used to scuba dive when I was a
teenager. But the first time we went
anywhere other than the pool was to a disused quarry in Lancashire, where I
remember the water being so unbelievably cold (and murky) that I vowed never to
don a scuba tank again. Time and 29C
seas mellowed my harshly taken stance though.
And into the depths we went for the next week, getting our basic and
advanced PADI certificates, allowing us to dive up to 30m anywhere in the
world. And this, I realised, was what it
was all about. Scuba diving in tropical
waters is magical. No other word for
it. Koh Tao was pretty magical too, with
stunning beaches and lazy bars and restaurants catering to every taste.
After a couple of weeks here we took off to
Koh Lanta for more of the same, but this time in the Andaman sea rather than
the gulf of Thailand. This is tsunami
territory, or rather the coastline that was decimated by the boxing day tsunami
of 2004. But there was no sign of that
to be seen and we spent the next week either diving the clear waters of the
Andaman or soaking up the sun on Koh Lanta.
Glorious times in Thailand definitely, but after three weeks of paradise islands it was time for a change, and off to Phnom Penh, Cambodia and the darker side of South East Asia's recent history. You can read that here, and the subsequent trip through Vietnam, Burma and Laos.
The beach at Chalok Baan Kao, where we learned to scuba dive
Not a bad little spot really...
...but other spots on Koh Tao were even more idyllic
...
...it doesn't get much better than this!
Buddha view, where we learnt to dive
Buddha View's resident Jack Russell Terrier puppy, Whisky
Sunsets and scuba gear
A very warm welcome. Temperatures almost always above 30C.
Petrol Station, Koh Tao
Strong winds available!
Our dive crew, with instructor Cairine at left front
Underwater. Actually difficult to get a shot like this with all the bubbles
AOK.
Exploring a steep face of coral
Snorkelling with the underwater camera
Myriads of tropical fish
And, suddenly, a giant turtle comes up out of the depths to breathe! I dived back down with him as far as I could. Majestic, beautiful, graceful creature.
Brain coral!
Buddha view bar, with Chalok Baan Kao beach in the background
Sunset on Chalok Baan Kao
The sleeping boat from Koh Tao to Surat Thani, then on to Koh Lanta
Khlong Khong beach, Koh Lanta
We initially stayed at Green Chilli bungalows, run by a Thai couple with their little boy, Arsene. The cutest little smile!
Then on to BB Bungalows
Khlong Khong beach at night
The dive site at Hin Daeng, near Koh Lanta
Extraordinary pillars of rock jutting out of the sea, similar to Halong Bay in Vietnam
The clear blue waters of Hin Muang
Probably the closest thing to floating in zero gravity I'll ever get to experience
A clown fish hides in its protective anenome
A sea slug
More corals and clear blue waters. Amazingly relaxing.
A nudibranch
A batfish
A lion fish
A leopard shark
A box fish
No idea what this is, but it looks cool!
An octopus
Blowing water rings, so to speak.
A day trip out on a long boat brings us to an underwater cave...
...which you swim through...
...for a while...in the pitch black...
...to emerge at an extraordinary secret beach...
...surrounded on all sides by towering rock faces.
A trip to a waterfall through a cave with stalactites...
...with tree roots growing down through them!
Elephant ride on Koh Lanta
Stopping for a snack!
Sunset at Khlong Khong beach, Koh Lanta
Glorious times in Thailand definitely, but after three weeks of paradise islands it was time for a change, and off to Phnom Penh, Cambodia and the darker side of South East Asia's recent history. You can read that here, and the subsequent trip through Vietnam, Burma and Laos.
Months later (years it really
felt) we crossed back from the Laos border at Hoak Xay to Chiang Khong and
caught a minivan to Chiang Mai, Thailand's second biggest city.
Always...hot
Well and truly fed up with all
things Buddhist now, we skipped the temples and wats, chilled out for a day and
then went on a Thai cooking course for a day.
I made yellow curry, chicken with holy basil, spring rolls and sticky
rice with sweet coconut milk and mango.
The yellow curry and the sticky rice were particularly nom and with the
recipe book they gave us at the end I'll be serving it up back in the UK if I
can find all the ingredients :)
Our host showing us different types of rice at the market
Sombreros and aprons on. Chilli time!
Our host managed to show us everything whilst simultaneously posing for photos
Making sticky rice
Thai yellow curry
Chicken with holy basil
The title of this blog entry,
Smiles and Spice, leads me to remember the particular aspect of food in
Thailand that I had not appreciated until I visited. And that's the sheer amount of chilli they
put in everything. I was served curries
that made my face go red, my nose and eyes stream and my whole body sweat. And these weren't even meant to be spicey by
Thai standards. I don't know if the
capacity to perceive the effects of capsaicin (the active ingredient in
chillis) is dependent on genetic variation, but I don't honestly see how people
can manage to eat the level of spice I was regularly served in Thailand. It was, literally and figuratively, astronomical. You might have thought India would top the
spice list. Not a bit of it. I don't remember being served a curry I
couldn't handle in India. In Thailand it
happened many times and I quickly learnt what not to order. Not to say that the food was bad. Quite the contrary. But the amount of chilli sometimes. Phew!
...
Next Chiang Mai experience was to
the Tiger Kingdom where, apparently, you could hug and pet real tigers. If that sounds exciting to you then you'll
know how I felt before going. But it was
actually a curiously sterile experience, and I struggle even now to know quite
why. We were shunted through with relatively little grace.
I felt like cattle a bit. But that
wasn't quite it. The tigers seemed
relatively unfazed by our presence. Of
course that's to be expected to an extent as they have been brought up in
captivity and are used to humans in all shapes and forms. It went slightly beyond that though.
There is a rumour that goes around that the tigers are drugged. Being a relative expert in this area (psychopharmacology in humans, that is) I am not sure what they would use to keep an animal permanently sedated (insofar as there isn't much that would do the same thing in humans either). In any event the tigers didn't seem sedated as such, just non-reactive. I also doubt the drugging theory is true because a drugged tiger is probably more unpredictable in reality than an undrugged one. They sleep 16 hours a day as it is. Anyway, there were stringent rules about petting the tigers. You couldn't approach them from the front, and always had to stroke them or cuddle them from behind, so that, we were told, the tigers didn't think you wanted to play with them. Majestic animals, and quite obviously potentially lethal, it does amaze me slightly that this petting experience (which involved tigers from as young as three months up to 2 years old) is apparently sanctioned by the powers that be. It's certainly a gravy train though (which probably has a lot to do with it). It cost about £30 for an hour's experience and there was no shortage of eager punters when we were there. The tiger keepers are with you at all times and seem to control the experience very strictly. Perhaps it was this that contributed to the relative lack of feeling I felt during the times I had my arms wrapped round a tiger's belly. They were very dear it's true (the tigers I mean), and the feel of their fur was wonderful, and they were truly majestic animals, but you would've thought somehow that the experience would involve an element of apprehension, excitement, even fear. But there was none of that.
About six months old (the tiger, that is) and playing with a coconut
Tough life
This chap about 2 years old.
Very placid and used to humans
This guy about 3 months old
They spend 16 hours a day asleep
But not, we are assured, because they are drugged
Feeding time at the zoo
There is a rumour that goes around that the tigers are drugged. Being a relative expert in this area (psychopharmacology in humans, that is) I am not sure what they would use to keep an animal permanently sedated (insofar as there isn't much that would do the same thing in humans either). In any event the tigers didn't seem sedated as such, just non-reactive. I also doubt the drugging theory is true because a drugged tiger is probably more unpredictable in reality than an undrugged one. They sleep 16 hours a day as it is. Anyway, there were stringent rules about petting the tigers. You couldn't approach them from the front, and always had to stroke them or cuddle them from behind, so that, we were told, the tigers didn't think you wanted to play with them. Majestic animals, and quite obviously potentially lethal, it does amaze me slightly that this petting experience (which involved tigers from as young as three months up to 2 years old) is apparently sanctioned by the powers that be. It's certainly a gravy train though (which probably has a lot to do with it). It cost about £30 for an hour's experience and there was no shortage of eager punters when we were there. The tiger keepers are with you at all times and seem to control the experience very strictly. Perhaps it was this that contributed to the relative lack of feeling I felt during the times I had my arms wrapped round a tiger's belly. They were very dear it's true (the tigers I mean), and the feel of their fur was wonderful, and they were truly majestic animals, but you would've thought somehow that the experience would involve an element of apprehension, excitement, even fear. But there was none of that.
Now I come to write all of my
sentiments about it down it occurs to me that my lack of reaction to the tigers
is most neatly explained by their lack of reaction to me. Brought up in captivity and with people
fondling them all day they must just be completely habituated to people and all
their machinations. In the wild you
might get a menacing look, or a roar or worse still an attack. Here we were, to them, of as much interest as
our daily pint of milk might be to us.
Perhaps this is it. At an
emotional level the tigers were uninterested and unengaged with me so I was
uninterested and unengaged with the tigers.
But since I expected there to be more at an emotional level, I
experienced a general unease attributable not so much to the tigers, but to my
lack of reaction to them. A strange
experience really. Good pictures though.
Back in Chiang Mai and with time
fast running out we decided to spend our last few days in Thailand in the
sleepy town of Pai. This whole area of
Thailand (the north) is distinctly different from the south, and Bangkok in
particular. It is geographically
different, and therefore often cooler, although when we were there it was
topping 40ºC most days. But also the ambience is more laid back than the rest
of Thailand, in fact more like Laos now I come to think of it. Anyway, Pai epitomises this attitude and in
recent years has attracted a sizeable hippy community to live there permanently. On the back of this more general migration
come the young backpackers, presumably seeking a slice of the action (or
non-action as the case is here).
Protected not just by the attitude of its residents, the town is served
by one of the most vomit inducing stretches of road from Chiang Mai I have ever
had the misfortune of travelling down.
It must put some people off.
Still, we made it. And Pai was
just what it was billed to be. Sleepy,
pretty and relaxed, it's paradise for the sort of people who would prefer to
kick back in a hammock, although there's a few bits and pieces around town you
can gather your loins for and take off on a hired moped for the day to as
well. Waterfalls, swimming holes and the
like. None of them we visited were
particularly noteworthy, but the overall experience of Pai was definitely
worthwhile visiting for. We completed a Thai massage course over 3 days, so if anyone's got any knots I can probably use an elbow or a foot to massage it out.
A few days later we were out of time, heading back to Chiang Mai and then took the plane to Hat Yai and then Singapore. A brief, and very pleasant, visit and catch up with my cousin Rupert Rucker in Singapore, and a whisk round the main Singapore sights, and it was off to Australia, the 'proper' travelling, I mused with a note of regret, seemingly over.
Pai. Sleepy and relaxed.
Our bungalow
This type of thing
A random reminder of home
With our instructor having completed the traditional Thai massage course in Pai
A few days later we were out of time, heading back to Chiang Mai and then took the plane to Hat Yai and then Singapore. A brief, and very pleasant, visit and catch up with my cousin Rupert Rucker in Singapore, and a whisk round the main Singapore sights, and it was off to Australia, the 'proper' travelling, I mused with a note of regret, seemingly over.















































































































No comments:
Post a Comment